Monday, January 18, 2010

Thing 15

As it turns out, Library 2.0 is not a new thing, or a new definition. It's really only the last year I've been hearing about this concept, so I was a little surprised to notice that quite a few of the Library 2.0 articles were dated 2007 or earlier. Library 2.0 is now, huh? It's happening! Which I think is great. I've kind of always thought of Library 2.0 in terms of Web 2.0 and technology. Online library services, etc. I read quite a bit more than 2 or 3 articles for this, as it peaked my interest, and yes, Web 2.0, technology, online services, they're all related to Library 2.0. Overall I like how Michael Stephens describes the goal of Library 2.0 - "better library services for more people." Yes, it means change, but that's also a great thing. Doing new or different things to interest and entice new or different people to the Library; but also updating our services to best serve the needs of currect patrons. I noticed that collaboration between libraries and their patrons was also mentioned a lot - that interaction is key. I know I'm willing and eager to make these sorts of things happen. There were also some articles mentioning grabbing the attention of teens, as the "next generation", as it were. We're certainly giving that a go here. Now to think of the many, many other things we can begin to do, for everyone...

1 comment: